Sunday, November 30, 2008

Weekend Reading

I am a reader!  I love to read but rarely find the time to be able to dedicate hours to get into a book.  Wasn’t convinced that audio-books were for me but I have spent a chunk of time on the weekend listening to the legend Seth Godin new book Tribes on my iPod.  If you have not “read” a book using audio I would encourage to give it a try.  When Seth is making a point that is particularly relevant for me I like to stop, pause, replay and give it some thought, even make notes on how that applies in my situation.

Tribes (link to paper book) is a great read for any business leader and there are several good points that I will use to write further blog posts about my thoughts on certain topics but some of the highlights are:

  • “Be Remarkable” – think about it!  be worthy of remark.  It is easy to become irrelevant and become  a ‘one of’ in your industry.  Don’t be afraid to rock the boat, in fact you have a responsibility to rock the boat.  More to follow in separate post but in the meantime think about it…are you worthy of remark?  Is your Company?
  • The Rules of the Game Change Everyday – If you are playing the game by the rules of yesterday it is clear you will not win the game of tomorrow.  YOU MUST CHANGE.  YOU MUST FORCE CHANGE IN YOUR ORGANIZATION. Past success is in no way an indicator of future performance.
  • Lead your Tribe – People want and need to be led.  Find the Tribe members in your company, find the Tribe members in your customer base and provide the voice, tools and ability for them to get together and drive the change you need.  EVERYONE in your organization can be/is a leader.  Permission is not required, only initiative and faith.

Whether it is Seth, or Tom Peters, or whoever reading and pushing yourself to think about things differently is critical to driving change and being successful.  What have you read this week?  How did it effect the way you think about your world whether it be politically, professionally, personally.  Continue to grow as a personal….there is no such thing as standing still, you are either moving forward or moving backwards.

3 comments:

  1. I took your advice and downloaded Tribes to my iPhone. I have seen several positive tweets about the book and want to read it. However, I am in the middle of reading "The Age of Unreason" by Charles Handy. I had not thought of looking for the audiobook. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:56 a.m.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/20/business/economy/20builders.html


    Home builders, who have good credit and have never missed a single interest payment on their loans, are also reeling in shock, today. Banks are turning down their projects, demanding more security and higher collaterals.
    There more bad news. Up till now only the nation’s large home builders had been bearing the brunt but now even the small and medium-size builders are buckling under financial pressure. These small builders build 70% of homes in the US – today, as per rough estimates more than 20,000 builders have already closed their shop in the past 2 years.
    Do banks really need to get this tough? To protect their interests, do they have to even take away the ‘bread and butter’ of so many home builders and the people they employ? What will home builders do now? Will things change for them in the near future?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    I really like your blog. My blog is also related to your blog.
    Please check this out http://mywillardfinance.yourblog.in/

    Thanks
    Ammon Johns

    ReplyDelete